Your search results

Landlord Insurance – what to look for

Posted by admin on October 8, 2017
| 0

If you have an investment property, you’re going to want to take out landlord insurance, to keep you fully protected.

Here are a few things to look for in your policy:

  • Liability.  If your tenant (or anyone else) has an accident or is injured at your property, you can be sued.  Opt for a policy with the highest cover possible.  A good policy will offer $20million at least.
  • Excess.  Look for a policy with minimal excess for claims.  Many landlord specialist insurance companies have free excesses, but some bank insurance policies have very pricey excesses – up to one months’ rent!
  • Accidental damage.  While most policies cover malicious damage, it’s been our experience that accidental damage is much more common in rental properties.  Most tenants don’t deliberately cause damage to a property, so it’s important to be covered for this
  • Contents.  Of course, you can’t take insurance for your tenant’s contents, but you may need to check if your building insurance policy covers items like carpets, blinds, kitchen appliances, etc.  In some cases, you need to take out contents insurance to cover these items.


  1. Pet damage.  Some policies don’t cover damage caused by pets, so be sure to check your policy

State tribunals don’t always support landlords as much as we feel they ought to, so we highly recommend that you make sure that your investment property is adequately insured at all time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.